Author: Big Messy Man
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 4 medium yellow squash, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven, pour the oil to a depth of 2 inches; heat to 365 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs until smooth. Add the squash, tossing gently to coat; let stand for 30 minutes. Drain the squash, discarding the buttermilk mixture.
- In a shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, flour, Cajun or Creole seasoning, baking powder, salt, and pepper, to taste. Dredge the squash in the mixture to coat.
- Fry the squash, in batches, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.