Author: Big Messy Man
Recipe type: Sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup dry vermouth
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup (2 sticks) melted unsalted butter or clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground white pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine the shallots, tarragon, white wine, and vermouth. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Remove from the heat, strain, and cool.
- In the top of a double boiler, or in a metal bowl fitted over a pot of barely simmering water, whisk the egg yolks and reduced wine until ribbons start to form. Whisking constantly, drizzle in the melted butter a bit at a time until all the butter is added and the mixture is thick. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the lemon juice, chopped tarragon, salt, and pepper. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve. To serve, place in a decorative bowl with a small sauce ladle.