Note: More stock may be used to make a moister dressing.
Author: Big Messy Man
- Double-batch of cornbread
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped sweet onion
- 1½ cups finely chopped celery
- 5 cups chicken or turkey stock
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Crumble the cornbread into small pieces (makes about 5 cups).
- Melt 1 stick butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and sauté, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 10 to12 minutes. Add the onion and celery to the cornbread mixture.
- Melt the remaining stick of butter. In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, chicken stock, eggs, and sage, and whisk to combine. Add to the cornbread mixture and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Season generously with kosher salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Bake, uncovered, until the dressing is set and golden brown, about 45 minutes to 50 minutes.