Chicken Curry (basic)
Author: Big Messy Man
- 2 T. - Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 4 T. Malaysian Curry Powder for Chicken
- 6 Chicken Thighs, skin on
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Idaho Potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 3 T. Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- Salt, to season chicken in the pot
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Salt, for finishing
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the oil and onion and cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken, bay leaf, and enough water to cover the chicken. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and coconut milk to the pot and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve with white rice. The curry can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.