Author: Big Messy Man
- 1 whole chicken, about 5 to 6 pounds, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup flour
- Creole seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- Crushed red pepper
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- ¼ cup chiffonade basil
- ½ pound cooked fettuccine or spaghetti (tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper)
- 4 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast)
- 2½ tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Yield: ⅔ cup
- Season the chicken with Creole seasoning. Season the flour with Creole seasoning. Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, coating completely and shaking off the excess.
- In a large Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and brown for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken and set aside. Add the onions. Season with salt and red pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt and red pepper. Continue to saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and stock. Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the bay leaf, thyme and basil. Add the chicken back to the mixture.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cover. Simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Mound the pasta in the center of each plate. Lay the chicken over the pasta. Spoon the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with cheese and parsley.