Braised Beef Ribs II
Author: Big Messy Man
- 4 lbs. - Short Ribs, cut 2-inches thick
- ¼ C. - Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 - Onions, cut into large chunks
- 1 - Large Leek, cut into thirds
- 1 - Tied Bunch of Fresh Aromatic Herbs or “Bouquet Garni" (5 sprigs parsley, 2 bay leaves, and 4 sprigs of thyme)
- 4 - Medium Carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1 Head - Garlic, halved
- 2 - Shallots, halved
- 2 - Red Bell Peppers, quartered, stems and seeds removed
- 1 - Jalapeño, quartered, stems and seeds removed
- 2 - Ripe Tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp. - Black Peppercorns
- 1½ C. - Red Wine (about ½ bottle)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Heat 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, add to the pot and cook until all sides are golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes a side.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onions, leeks and shallots and cook until fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the red bell pepper to the pot with the short ribs. Slice the Jalapeños and add to the sauteing vegetables.
- Once the short ribs are completely browned, add the sauteed vegetables, tomatoes, carrots, garlic, bouquet garni, peppercorns and wine to the short ribs. Fill with water within 1 inch (2½cm) from the top and bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to the oven and braise until the meat is fork-tender, 2½ to 3 hours, turning every 30 minutes.
- Check the short ribs and if they are fork-tender, remove from the oven. Discard the bouquet garni. Serve the short ribs with the vegetables.