Author: Big Messy Man
- 1 to 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil, as needed to sear steaks
- 1 (2 to 3-pound) beef bottom round roast, julienned
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed with the side of a knife blade, and minced
- 2 cups (about 6 ounces) white mushrooms, cleaned trimmed, and sliced
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 pound egg noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saute pan which should be large enough to accommodate the mushrooms, wine and beef.
- Season beef with salt, pepper, and paprika, and set aside briefly.
- To the heated pan, add white onion and garlic and saute until the onion becomes translucent. Add the mushrooms and saute until they give up their juices.
- Add the beef strips to the pan, pour red wine, pouring over the meat, and allow the wine to reduce by half. Add beef stock and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and allow meat to braise until it is fork tender, about 25 minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the noodles.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and mushrooms from pan, cover and keep in a warm place. Allow liquids to reduce and thicken with the pan uncovered.
- While the beef stock is reducing, boil the egg noodles until al dente.
- Remove sauce from heat and whisk in sour cream and horseradish (which will add stroganoff flavor and stabilize the sauce). Return meat and mushrooms to sauce.
- Drain egg noodles well and spoon stroganoff over. Garnish with parsley.